The divorce process is a stressful, emotional time in any couple’s life. This process settles a lot of important situations in a person’s life including finances, assets, and children; both couples are hoping for the best possible outcome. With all that said, you want the best lawyer working for who has your best interests in mind.
Since each and every couple’s situation is different, people should choose a divorce lawyer that best suits them and their specific needs. Finding the right lawyer can be difficult, because some may know have a strong knowledge of the law, or don’t care about your personal needs, or are well above your price point. Your best bet is to start researching and get a list going of the best divorce lawyers you can find in your price range. Ask people you know, especially those who have gone through a divorce, for referrals. In your research, the lawyer’s ratings, fees, years of practice, what they practice, and if there is any misconduct.
Besides the categories listed above, if you are still unsure of what to look for in a divorce lawyer, we wanted to provide you with a list of tips and things to consider when choosing a lawyer. You will be investing a lot of money in this person who will help define your future, so you want to make sure you’re hiring the right person for the job.
- Temperament – Look for a lawyer who doesn’t mock or mimic your emotions.
- Likability – Look for a lawyer who is easy to talk to, who listens to you, understands you, and who you can understand.
- Promises – You don’t want to hire a lawyer who tells you anything and everything you want to hear. You want a lawyer who tells you the truth about the situation and potential outcomes. False promises will not benefit you.
- Respect – If an attorney isn’t respectful to his or her team, other divorce attorneys, or even you, this is a red flag they are not the right person to be with. If this attorney always acts busy and distracted when they are with you (phone calls, emails), belittles you, or bullies you, are they really concerned about you?
- Questions– Don’t be afraid to meet with any of the attorneys you’ve researched to ask a bunch of questions. You want to be educated on the process and on the attorney’s background and expertise. There are no dumb questions. If this attorney isn’t answering your questions, you probably shouldn’t move forward with him or her.
It’s important you find a divorce lawyer you are comfortable with and confident in. Hire the person who has a solid background, years of experience, who practices the divorce process you’re interested in, fits your budget, and works with you respectfully and amicably. This is an important decision, and if you follow thee above advice, you will find the right person who has your best interests at heart.
If you’re looking for a divorce attorney, Sustainable Family Solutions provides legal advice and representation to clients through the practices of divorce, collaborative divorce, mediation, alimony, child support, and more. If you have further questions or want more information, click here.